June 2010 - Present
iProperty is Asia’s number 1 online property group. I am responsible for the group's entire IT strategy and operations. As part of the company’s executive management team collectively responsible for $18 million in annual revenue and manage a direct budget of over $2 million.
- Responsible for the management and development of the market leading property search websites. We serve 4 million visitors every month.
- Developing a multi platform digital strategy across our multiple businesses and delivering mobile websites, applications for iPad, Android, Windows and more.
- Pioneering the migration of traditional print media to the digital world by launching interactive magazines on the iPad.
- Rationalising IT Operations to realise cost savings and focus internal resources on delivering against core competencies.
- Transitioning hosting of our sites and services to AWS
- Out-sourcing of non-core services.
- Elimination of many Single Points of Failure ensuring better availability of sites.
- Initiatives for site performance improvement resulted in page load times dropping by 50%.
- Implementation of ITIL processes impacting incident and problem management.
- Leading a focus on metrics across IT including application performance monitoring.
- Migration of core listings search logic resulting in improved speed.
- Consolidation of multiple legacy platforms in a set of services to enable faster time to market.
- Rollout of CRM to streamline sales workflow.
- Lead organisation's business and technical innovation.
- Initiated and delivered transformation programme to adopt Agile software development.
- “Hack day” events which encourage IT staff to work on a new project of their own choosing to deliver new products, facilitate team building and enhance morale.
- Founded the Agile Malaysia movement to encourage innovation in the industry across Malaysia.
- Regular speaker at events showcasing how innovation can be applied in businesses as an enabler for growth.
January 2007 - June 2010
Delivery Manager, Customer Experience
REA Group (realestate.com.au)
REA Group is the ASX listed operator of Australia’s most popular residential and commercial real estate websites (www.realestate.com.au, www.realcommercial.com.au). I was a key member of the IT leadership team, developing and implementing IT strategic direction and vision.
- Member of the REA Group Senior Leadership team, leading a team of developers, BAs and QAs responsible for end-to-end delivery of major strategic projects focusing on customer/advertiser relationships and core business systems
- Responsible for building key IT assets that will see the company through its current and future growth phases.
- Delivering business cases to executive sponsors that balance the need to deliver on new products quickly and deliver immediate revenue, with the need to invest in a scalable, maintainable software platform.
- Focusing on delivering value to the rest of the business, our customers, consumers and shareholders
- By using Agile methodologies and a strong understanding of what is important to the business, I ensured that the team delivered value early. Prioritising the highest-value initiatives, we maximised the value of our investment.
- Instilling a strong culture in the team of doing work for a business reason and not for its own sake. This allowed us to balance technical excellence with pragmatic decision-making.
- Involved in all of the key people and technical decisions. For example, organisational restructures, software platform changes and infrastructure issues.
- Thought leadership: presenting new ideas, updates and innovation initiatives to the IT team and wider organisation through town hall meetings and blog posts and regular liasion with the Executive Leadship team.
- Budgetary responsibility for major strategic projects, headcount and contractors for $1M+ projects.
- Management of existing vendors and negotiating new partnerships.
October 2001 - December 2006
Head of Integration
Venda is a leading global provider of SaaS eCommerce websites providing services to Tier 1 retailers including Tesco, Nokia, Panasonic, Xerox, BBC Worldwide, Universal Music Group, Virgin Megastores.
- Founding member of the technical team, building the company from a start-up to a global business with over 250 staff and operating more than 100 websites.
- Leading a team of developers to integrate the Venda platform with client systems;
- Fully responsible for delivery of all integration solutions – integrating with large-scale ERP systems for major retail organisations.
- Pioneering the opening of Venda’s wholly owned, offshore development facility in Thailand. Leading a team of local developers in Thailand to create sites and integration modules.
- Managing communication, work and process with a team of offshore developers. Building relationships across geographies and timezones (UK, Thailand, US).
- Defining and implementing internal business processes to ensure quality and robustness of code
- Growing the development operation from two people with no processes or tools to a team of over 50 working with source control, code review, etc.
- Development using Object Oriented Perl, SQL Databases, using Linux and Microsoft platforms
November 1999 - October 2001
Ask Jeeves is one of the top-ranking websites in the UK and, as part of an international parent, is a provider of search services to business and consumers.
- Key member of the initial business start-up team; part of a focused group responsible for building the search database for the site’s successful March 2000 launch
- Instigating and building a high-volume, scalable reporting solution to maximise relevancy and monetisation of the search database
- Continuously improving operational efficiency and implementing best practices for search operations
- Maintaining and optimising all databases within the company using Microsoft SQL Server