I often find myself talking to experienced and new managers about things I’ve read or heard. Of course I can never remember everything so this post aims to capture some of my “go-to” resources about management and leadership. This list is naturally skewed towards technical/software leadership but a lot of it crosses over into other domains too.
I’ll update this post as and when I read/listen to new things or remember things I’ve read before!
- Rands – otherwise known as Michael Lopp (currently head of engineering at Pinterest).
- NOOP.nl – the blog of Jurgen Appelo (author of Management 3.0)
- Managing Product Development – Johanna Rothman’s blog covers a wide spectrum of topics of interest to those developing software products.
- Lindsay Holmwood – an engineering manager and organiser of DevOps events from Sydney, Australia.
- Kylie Hunt – wants to be a Chief Happiness Officer and writes about making great workplaces.
- Rich Rogers – leads engineering at Hitachi Data Systems. Often posts great articles on engineering leadership.
- Steve Hayes – co-founder of Cogent, agile advocate and provider of great tweets.
- David Marquet – author (see book section, above), former submarine captain and inspiration.
- Bob Sutton – author (see book section, above) and professor at Stanford.
- Dr Jason Fox – expert on motivation and also very amusing.
- Jason Yip – Agile Coach at Spotify; like standing in front of a firehose of interesting content.
- Nigel Dalton – a lot of what I read came directly or indirectly from Nigel.
- Esther Derby – expert on organisations and how they work (or don’t).
- Johanna Rothman – management guru and author.